March 17, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Nationally-ranked No. 20 MIT defeated its second straight NESCAC opponent, this time upending Colby College by a margin of 7-2. With the win, the Engineers improved to 10-3 on the year.
MIT opened the match with wins in the top two doubles positions. Mariah Hoover and Leslie Hansen posted an 8-1 victory while Anisa McCree and Liz Denys recorded an 8-4 decision. Karina Pikhart and Melissa Diskin fell by a score of 9-8 (6) in the No. 3 slot.
Hansen dropped only one game in her 6-1, 6-0 singles win as Hoover increased the Engineers' lead with a 6-2, 6-2 decision. After dropping the opening set by a score of 6-3, Denys bounced back and surrendered only three more games to close out the match with victories of 6-2 and 6-1. Diskin defeated her foe in the No. 4 position, 6-3, 6-3, as Yi Wang fell, 6-4, 6-2. McCree wrapped up the day with a hard-fought 6-7 (4), 7-5, 10-4 win in the final slot.
MIT vs. Colby College
Final Team Score: MIT 7, Colby 2
1. Mariah Hoover/Leslie Hansen (M) def. Julie Achenbaum/Audrey Jacobsen (C), 8-1
2. Anisa McCree/Liz Denys (M) def. Katie Muto/Tara Davidson (C), 8-4
3. Katie Brezinski/Katherine Koleski (C) def. Karina Pikhart/Melissa Diskin (M), 9-8 (6)
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Nicole Veilleux (C), 6-1, 6-0
2. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Katie Muto (C), 6-2, 6-2
3. Liz Denys (M) def. Audrey Jacobsen (C), 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Melissa Diskin (M) def. Julie Achenbaum (C), 6-3, 6-3
5. Tara Davidson (C) def. Yi Wang (M), 6-4, 6-2
6. Anisa McCree (M) def. Caroline Reaves (C), 6-7 (4), 7-5, 10-4