March 19, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In its final match before spring break, the MIT's women's tennis team posted a 9-0 victory over Colby College on Sunday. The Engineers, ranked No. 10 in the Northeast, improved to 10-4 on the year while the Mules fell to 1-2.
The No. 3 doubles team of Karina Pikhart and Anisa McCree led off the match with an 8-4 win, which was replicated by Mariah Hoover and Leslie Hansen in the top spot. Serena Lin and Yi Wang overcame a 5-2 deficit en route to 9-7 victory in the No. 2 position.
Hansen, ranked No. 12 in the region, earned her second consecutive win over an opponent ranked above her. She topped Colby's No. 11 Allison Dunn, 6-0, 6-1, after defeating No. 7 Sarah D'Elia of Bowdoin College in straight sets last week. Wang clinched the match for the Engineers with a 6-1, 6-3 decision in the No. 4 position. Hoover continued the trend with a 7-6 (2), 6-1 victory while Lin overpowered her No. 3 singles foe, 6-0, 6-2. McCree edged out Julie Achenbaum, 7-5, 6-2, in the No. 5 spot as Pikhart recorded a hard-fought 6-4, 7-6 (2) win in the final slot.
Colby College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Colby 0
1. Mariah Hoover/Leslie Hansen (M) def. Allison Dunn/Tracy Nale (C), 8-4
2. Serena Lin/Yi Wang (M) def. Ginny Raho/Nicole Veilleux (C), 9-7
3. Karina Pikhart/Anisa McCree (M) def. Julie Achenbaum/Audrey Jacobsen (C), 8-4
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Allison Dunn (C), 6-0, 6-1
2. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Tracy Nale (C), 7-6 (2), 6-1
3. Serena Lin (M) def. Ginny Raho (C), 6-0, 6-2
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Nicole Veilleux (C), 6-1, 6-3
5. Anisa McCree (M) def. Julie Achenbaum (C), 7-5, 6-2
6. Karina Pikhart (M) def. Audrey Jacobsen (C), 6-4, 7-6 (2)