April 3, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team defeated Bowdoin College, 5-4, for the first time since the series began during the 1979-80 season. The Polar Bears have won the previous 11 meetings, including an 8-1 decision in the last match-up in 2004. The win brought the Engineers' overall record to 11-4.
The No. 3 doubles team of Jill Konowich and Jusleen Karve recorded the first point for Tech with an 8-5 win. Serena Lin and Mariah Hoover replicated this effort in the top spot. Elaine Ni and Joanna MacKay dropped a tough 9-7 loss to Kristen Raymond and Christine D'Elia.
Bowdoin evened the match at 2-2 by defeating Elaine Ni, 6-3, 6-2 in the No. 2 position. The Polar Bears went ahead when Yi Wang fell to Sarah D'Elia (6-1, 6-4) and then extended their lead with a 6-4, 6-4 decision over Hoover. MIT's Emily Chen responded by recording a 6-0, 6-2 victory in the No. 6 slot. Lin took the first set against Kelsey Hughes, 6-4, and then dropped the next game, 3-6. In the final set, Lin was ahead, 5-4, before Hughes retired due to an injury. Konowich clinched the match with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 win in the No. 5 spot.
Bowdoin College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 5, Bowdoin 4
1. Serena Lin (M) def. Kelsey Hughes/Sarah D'Elia (B), 8-5
2. Kristen Raymond/Christine D'Elia (B) def. Elaine Ni/Joanna MacKay (M), 9-7
3. Jill Konowich/Jusleen Karve (M) def. Kristina Sisk/Rachel Waldman (B), 8-5
1. Serena Lin (M) def. Kelsey Hughes (B), 6-4, 3-6, 5-4 (injury retired)
2. Sarah D'Elia (B) def. Elaine Ni (M), 6-3, 6-2
3. Kristen Raymond (B) def. Mariah Hoover (M), 6-4, 6-4
4. Christine D'Elia (B) def. Yi Wang (M), 6-1, 6-4
5. Jill Konowich (M) def. Rachel Waldman (B), 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
6. Emily Chen (M) def. Alex Franeschi (B), 6-0, 6-2