April 13, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In the inaugural meeting between both programs, the nationally-ranked No. 28 MIT women's tennis team defeated NYU, 8-1, on Saturday. With the win, the Engineers improved to 13-5 on the year while the Violets dipped to 7-5.
MIT's doubles sweep began with Karina Pikhart and Melissa Diskin's 8-2 decision over Amanda Freedman and Lisa Mijovic in the No. 3 position. Leslie Hansen and Mariah Hoover defeated Holly Smith and Meggie Smith, 8-4, in the top spot while Anisa McCree and Yi Wang edged out Stephanie Tu and Jaclyn Manning, 8-6.
Hoover extended the Engineers' lead to 4-0 following her 6-2, 6-4 win over Tu in the No. 2 singles slot. Hansen clinched the match by defeating Holly Smith, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 1 spot. Diskin topped Meggie Smith, 7-5, 6-1, while Wang posted scores of 6-4, 6-2, in her win over Manning in the No. 4 position. Mijovic put NYU on the board with a 6-0, 6-4 decision over Jenny Dohlman as McCree wrapped up the day with a 1-6, 7-5, 6-2 victory.
NYU vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 8, NYU 1
1. Leslie Hansen/Mariah Hoover (M) def. Holly Smith/Meggie Smith (N), 8-4
2. Anisa McCree/Yi Wang (M) def. Stephanie Tu/Jaclyn Manning (N), 8-6
3. Karina Pikhart/Melissa Diskin (M) def. Amanda Freedman/Lisa Mijovic (N), 8-2
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Holly Smith (N), 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Stephanie Tu (N), 6-2, 6-4
3. Melissa Diskin (M) def. Meggie Smith (N), 7-5, 6-1
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Jaclyn Manning (N), 6-4, 6-2
5. Anisa McCree (M) def. Amanda Freedman (N), 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Lisa Mijovic (N) def. Jenny Dohlman (M), 6-0, 6-4