April 16, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team was too much to handle for Trinity College as it posted an 8-1 win over the visiting Bantams on Saturday. The win brings the Engineers' record to 12-4 for the year.
The No. 2 doubles team of Elaine Ni and Joanna MacKay recorded the first point of the day, notching an 8-4 victory over Amanda Trament and Sarah Gould. Serena Lin and Mariah Hoover finished with an 8-3 win, which was followed by Lisa Shank and Yi Wang defeating their No. 3 opponents, 8-2.
Ni lost her No. 2 singles match by scores of 6-0 and 6-1. Emily Chen posted Tech's first singles victory with a 6-1, 6-0 finish in the No. 6 position. Jill Konowich clinched the match for MIT by defeating Syd Meckler, 6-2, 6-0. Lin locked up a 6-2, 6-3 decision as Hoover won, 6-3, 6-3. Wang closed the day with a 6-4, 6-3 victory in the No. 4 slot.
In the only exhibition match of the day, Karina Pikhart fell to Yang Liu, 6-0, 6-4.
Trinity College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Trinity 1
1. Serena Lin/Mariah Hoover (M) def. Brenna Driscoll/Melissa White (T), 8-3
2. Elaine Ni/Joanna MacKay (M) def. Amanda Trament/Sarah Gould (T), 8-4
3. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (M) def. Syd Meckler/Katie Fielding (T), 8-2
1. Serena Lin (M) def. Brenna Driscoll (T), 6-2, 6-3
2. Amanda Trament (T) def. Elaine Ni (M), 6-0, 6-1
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Sarah Gould (T), 6-3, 6-3
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Melissa White (T), 6-4, 6-3
5. Jill Konowich (M) def. Syd Meckler (T), 6-2, 6-0
6. Emily Chen (M) def. Katie Fielding (T), 6-1, 6-0
7. Yang Liu (T) def. Karina Pikhart (M), 6-0, 6-4