Sept. 14, 2005
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - MIT battled NEWMAC foe Wellesley College in a 5-4 loss on Tuesday. The outcome of the match was decided by the No. 2 and No. 6 singles matches, which both went to three sets. In the No. 6 spot, Joanna MacKay came back from losing the first set, 6-1, to take the win, 6-3, 6-4, and tie up the team scoring at 4-4. Elaine Ni won the first set of her match, 6-3, but despite playing well she could not pull off a three-set win, falling, 6-4, 6-0.
Mariah Hoover and Jill Konowich posted convincing wins in their singles matches. In the No. 3 position, Hoover defeated Hali Walther, 6-2, 6-0. Konowich notched a 6-1, 6-2 win over Jenny Kendall in the No. 5 slot. Serena Lin and Yi Wang both lost their matches by scores of 6-3, 6-3, in the No. 1 and No. 4 spots.
The NEWMAC Doubles Team of the Week, Joanna MacKay and Elaine Ni defeated Trish Devine and Jen Schwartzkopf, 8-3, for the Engineers (1-1, 1-1 NEWMAC) lone doubles victory. Hoover and Lin fell in the top position by a score of 8-4 while Konowich and Yang lost, 8-2, in the No. 3 slot.
In exhibition play, Jane Booth-Tobin and Alex Ording defeated Lisa Shank and Jusleen Karve, 8-5. Karve also fell to Alex Lucas in singles action, 6-2, 6-0. Shank posted a 6-1, 6-0 win over Debby Dowlin while Karina Pikhart recorded an 8-6 victory.
MIT vs. Wellesley College
Final Team Score: Wellesley 5, MIT 4
1. Jenna Mezin/Hali Walther (W) def. Mariah Hoover/Serena Lin (M), 8-4
2. Joanna MacKay/Elaine Ni (M) def. Trish Devine/Jen Schwartkopf (W), 8-3
3. Katelyn Ching/Alex Lucas (W) def. Jill Konowich/Yi Wang (M), 8-2
4. Jane Booth-Tobin/Alex Ording (W) def. Lisa Shank/Jusleen Karve (M), 8-5
1. Jenna Mezin (W) def. Serena Lin (M), 6-3, 6-3
2. Trish Devine (W) def. Elaine Ni (M), 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Hali Walther (W), 6-2, 6-0
4. Jen Schwartzkopf (W) def. Yi Wang (M), 6-3, 6-3
5. Jill Konowich (M) def. Jenny Kendall (W), 6-1, 6-2
6. Joanna MacKay (M) def. Katelyn Ching (W), 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
7. Alex Lucas (W) def. Jusleen Karve (M), 6-2, 6-0
8. Lisa Shank (M) def. Debby Dowlin (W), 6-1, 6-0
9. Karina Pikhart (M) def. Shine Chen (W), 8-6