Women's Tennis Defeats Mount Holyoke, 6-3
Sept. 18, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Despite trailing Mount Holyoke College, 2-1, entering singles play, MIT overpowered the Lyons by winning five out six matches resulting in a 6-3 victory on Saturday. The Engineers' record improved to 2-0 overall and in NEWMAC action with the win.
The No. 1 doubles tandem of Joanna MacKay and Leslie Hansen and the No. 3 duo of Karina Pikhart and Anisa McCree both fell by 8-3 decisions. Mariah Hoover and Yi Wang put Tech on the board with an 8-3 win in their No. 2 match.
Following MacKay's 6-2, 6-1 loss in the No. 4 singles spot, MIT went on to capture the five remaining matches. Wins by Hoover (6-2, 6-2) and McCree (6-3, 6-1) evened the contest at 3-3. The Engineers took the lead for good on Hansen's 6-1, 7-6 (3) decision in the top slot. Wang sealed the team victory with a pair of 7-5 scores in her No. 3 match. Emily Chen earned the final point of the day by defeating Anjali Bhalodia, 7-6 (3), 1-6, 6-2, in the No. 6 position.
The Lyons led the way in the exhibition matches as they won both doubles and all four of the singles pairings.
MIT vs. Mount Holyoke College
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Mount Holyoke 3
1. Angela Horner/Ashley Fallon (MHC) def. Joanna MacKay/Leslie Hansen (MIT), 8-3
2. Mariah Hoover/Yi Wang (MIT) def. Anjali Bhalodia/Helena Jedziniak (MHC), 8-3
3. Meaghan Sloane/Aleksandra Mihailovic (MHC) def. Karina Pikart/Anisa McCree (MIT), 8-3
4. London/Zagardo (MHC) def. Katie Smyth/Kerry Weinberg (MIT), 8-3
5. Hartmann/Kim (MHC) def. Jackie Rogoff/Emily Onufer (MIT), 8-4
1. Leslie Hansen (MIT) def. Angela Horner (MHC), 6-1, 7-6 (3)
2. Mariah Hoover (MIT) def. Ashley Fallon (MHC), 6-2, 6-2
3. Yi Wang (MIT) def. Helena Jedziniak (MHC), 7-5, 7-5
4. Michelle Zagardo (MHC) def. Joanna MacKay (MIT), 6-2, 6-1
5. Anisa McCree (MIT) def. Bo Kim (MHC), 6-3, 6-1
6. Emily Chen (MIT) def. Anjali Bhalodia (MHC), 7-6 (3), 1-6, 6-2
7. London (MHC) def. Karina Pikhart (MIT), 6-4, 6-1
8. Hartmann (MHC) def. Kerry Weinberg (MIT), 6-1, 6-0
9. Tighe (MHC) def. Jackie Rogoff (MIT), 6-2, 6-4
10. Mihailovic (MHC) def. Emily Onufer (MIT), 8-3