MIT Defeats Mount Holyoke, 6-3
Sept. 19, 2005
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - MIT bounced back from two close losses in its doubles matches to dominate singles play and post a 6-3 victory over visiting Mount Holyoke College on Saturday. With the win, the Engineers improve to 2-1 overall and in NEWMAC action.
The No. 1 doubles team of Serena Lin and Mariah Hoover fell to Ang Horner and Aleks Mihailovic, 9-7. Joanna MacKay and Elaine lost, 9-8, in a tiebreaker to Anna Boatwright and Ashley Fallon. Jusleen Karve and Jill Konowich recorded the lone doubles victory for the Engineers, defeating Meaghan Sloane and Cait McCarrie, 8-1.
Lin lost a tough three-set match, 1-6, 6-3, 6-3, that took two and a half hours to complete in the No. 1 spot. Ni posted a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Mihailovic while Hoover won, 6-1, 6-2. At the No. 4 position, Yi Wang defeated Boatwright, 6-3, 6-0, as Konowich emerged with a 6-3, 6-1 win. MacKay closed out singles play by blanking McCarrie, 6-0, 6-0.
The Engineers overpowered the Lyons in exhibition play, winning all three matches. Lisa Shank and Wang teamed up for an 8-1 win over Leah Ferrarone and Sabrina Youn. Karve defeated Youn, 6-1, 6-0, while Karina Pikhart posted a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Ferrarone.
Mount Holyoke College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Mount Holyoke 3
1. Ang Horner/Aleks Mihailovic (MHC) def. Serena Lin/Mariah Hoover (MIT), 9-7
2. Anna Boatwright/Ashley Fallon (MHC) def. Joanna MacKay/Elaine Ni (MIT), 9-8
3. Jusleen Karve/Jill Konowich (MIT) def. Meaghan Sloane/Cait McCarrie (MHC), 8-1
4. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (MIT) def. Leah Ferrarone/Sabrina Youn (MHC), 8-1
1. Ang Horner (MHC) def. Serena Lin (MIT), 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Elaine Ni (MIT) def. Aleks Mihailovic (MHC), 6-1, 6-4
3. Mariah Hoover (MIT) def. Ashley Fallon (MHC), 6-1, 6-2
4. Yi Wang (MIT) def. Anna Boatwright (MHC), 6-3, 6-0
5. Jill Konowich (MIT) def. Meaghan Sloane (MHC), 6-3, 6-1
6. Joanna MacKay (MIT) def. Cait McCarrie (MHC), 6-0, 6-0
7. Jusleen Karve (MIT) def. Sabrina Youn (MHC), 6-1, 6-0
8. Karina Pikhart (MIT) def. Leah Ferrarone (MHC), 6-1, 6-2