Sept. 20, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team extended its winning streak to three on Tuesday night as it posted an 8-1 decision over NEWMAC foe Babson College. As a result of their home-opening victory, the Engineers' ledger was lifted to 3-0 on the year and in conference play.
The No. 2 team of Mariah Hoover and Yi Wang kicked off Tech's doubles dominance by defeating Heather Walsh and Andrea Nagy, 8-1. Joanna MacKay and Leslie Hansen collaborated for an 8-2 win the top spot while Karina Pikhart and Anisa McCree wrapped up play with an 8-3 score.
Hansen extended MIT's lead to 4-0 after dropping only two games in her No. 1 singles spot. MacKay clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 5 as McCree fell, 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 4 slot. Hoover captured her second win of the day by defeating Lorena Becerra, 6-1, 6-2. Emily Chen recorded a 6-1, 6-3 victory at the No. 6 position before Wang outlasted her No. 3 opponent, 5-7, 6-0, 11-9.
In exhibition play, the Engineers defeated the Beavers in five out of six matches. Katie Smyth and Kerry Weinberg notched an 8-6 doubles win while Emily Onufer and Jackie Rogoff posted a score of 9-8 (2). Pikhart lost her singles match, 8-3, however, Weinberg (9-7), Smyth (8-4), and Rogoff (8-4) rounded out the match with wins for Tech.
Babson College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Babson 1
1. Joanna MacKay/Leslie Hansen (M) def. Courtney Farrell/Lorena Becerra (B), 8-2
2. Mariah Hoover/Yi Wang (M) def. Heather Walsh/Andrea Nagy (B), 8-1
3. Karina Pikhart/Anisa McCree (M) def. Jamie Burke/Kali Hogan (B), 8-3
4. Katie Smyth/Kerry Weinberg (M) def. Lindsey Ford/Liz Sheerin (B), 8-6
5. Emily Onufer/Jackie Rogoff (M) def. Annie Chrys/Annette Ramstad (B), 9-8 (2)
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Courtney Farrell (B), 6-1, 6-1
2. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Lorena Becerra (B), 6-1, 6-2
3. Yi Wang (M) def. Kali Hogan (B), 5-7, 6-0, 11-9
4. Heather Walsh (B) def. Anisa McCree (M), 6-3, 6-2
5. Joanna MacKay (M) def. Andrea Nagy (B), 6-3, 6-2
6. Emily Chen (M) def. Liz Sheerin (B), 6-1, 6-3
7. Jamie Burke (B) def. Karina Pikhart (M), 8-3
8. Kerry Weinberg (M) def. Annie Chrys (B), 9-7
9. Katie Smyth (M) def. Lindsey Ford (B), 8-4
10. Jackie Rogoff (M) def. Annette Ramstad (B), 8-4