Sept. 21, 2005
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - After four hours of play, the MIT women's tennis team emerged with a 7-2 victory over NEWMAC foe Babson College on Tuesday. The win helped the Engineers (3-1, 3-1 NEWMAC) move into a second-place tie with the Beavers in the conference standings.
Joanna MacKay and Elaine Ni recorded a tough 8-6 loss to Gretchen Hackmann and Fran Russo in the No. 1 position. Serena Lin and Mariah Hoover did not drop a game in their 8-0 victory. Jill Konowich and Jusleen Karve gave Tech a 2-1 advantage by defeating Iryna Neskoromna and Heather Walsh, 8-2.
As the weather improved, the singles portion of the match was moved outdoors. Jill Konowich was the first one off the court, winning the No. 5 match, 6-0, 6-3. MacKay was next, as she posted a 6-1, 6-4 win in the No. 6 position.
With MIT ahead, 4-1, it needed just one victory from the top four spots to win the match. However, all four matches split sets to take it to a third set. Ni lost to Courtney Farrell, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, giving Babson a point to make it 4-2. Hoover clinched the victory with a 6-2, 3-6, 6-0 win. Yi Wang and Lin followed suit as they won their third sets decisively, 6-2 and 6-1, respectively.
Lisa Shank and Wang dominated their exhibition doubles match with an 8-0 win. Karve lost her singles match to Neskoromna, 5-7, 6-4, 6-3. Shank overpowered Annie Chrys, posting a 6-1, 6-0 win. Karina Pikhart also showcased a strong performance by defeating Jamie Burke, 6-1, 6-2.
Babson College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 7, Babson 2
1. Gretchen Hackmann/Fran Russo (B) def. Joanna MacKay/Elaine Ni (M), 8-6
2. Serena Lin/Mariah Hoover (M) def. Liz Magner/Meena Anvary (B), 8-0
3. Jill Konowich/Jusleen Karve (M) def. Iryna Neskoromna/Heather Walsh (B), 8-2
4. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (M) def. Kali Hogan/Courtney Farrell (B), 8-0
1. Serena Lin (M) def. Gretchen Hackmann (B), 1-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. Courtney Farrell (B) def. Elaine Ni (M), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Fran Russo (B), 6-2, 3-6, 6-0
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Kali Hogan (B), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Jill Konowich (M) def. Heather Walsh (B), 6-1, 6-4
6. Joanna MacKay (M) def. Meena Avary (B), 6-0, 6-3
7. Iryna Neskoromna (B) def. Jusleen Karve (M), 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
8. Lisa Shank (M) def. Annie Chrys (B), 6-1, 6-0
9. Karina Pikhart (M) def. Jamie Burke (B), 6-1, 6-2