Sept. 29, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The No. 1 doubles team of Joanna MacKay and Leslie Hansen recorded MIT's lone win in its 8-1 loss to Tufts University on Thursday. The Engineers fell to 3-1 on the year while the Jumbos improved to 3-0.
Tufts was too much to handle in singles play as it out-scored MIT, 61-23, in five straight-set victories. Wang's No. 3 singles match was the only one to go to three sets. She took the opening frame, 6-4, before dropping the next two sets by scores of 6-3 and 10-8. In the No. 5 position, MacKay was defeated by Mari Homma, 6-3, 7-6 (5), marking the Engineers' closest straight-set loss.
MIT vs. Tufts University
Final Team Score: Tufts 8, MIT 1
1. Joanna MacKay/Leslie Hansen (M) def. Jen Luten/Kylyn Deary (T), 8-6
2. Meghan McCooey/Mari Homma (T) def. Mariah Hoover/Yi Wang (M), 8-5
3. Silvia Schmid/Erica Miller (T) def. Karina Pikhart/Anisa McCree (M), 8-2
1. Jen Luten (T) def. Leslie Hansen (M), 6-1, 6-3
2. Meghan McCooey def. Mariah Hoover (M), 6-0, 6-2
3. Kylyn Deary (T) def. Yi Wang (M), 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
4. Silvia Schmid (T) def. Anisa McCree (M), 6-1, 6-3
5. Mari Homma (T) def. Joanna MacKay (M), 6-3, 7-6
6. Erica Miller (T) def. Emily Chen (M), 6-2, 6-2