MIT Defeats Wheaton, 7-2
Oct. 3, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - For the second year in a row, MIT's women's tennis team defeated NEWMAC foe Wheaton College by a 7-2 margin. The Engineers, winners of their fifth straight versus the Lyons, improved to 5-1 overall and 5-0 in conference play.
Liz Denys and Anisa McCree led off a doubles sweep with an 8-1 victory in the No. 2 spot. Leslie Hansen and Mariah Hoover followed with an 8-2 decision while Katie Smyth and Emily Onufer edged out their counterparts, 9-7, in the No. 3 position.
Jenny Dohlman dropped only one game in her 6-0, 6-1 No. 6 singles victory to extend MIT's lead to 4-0. The Lyons got on the board with Denys' 6-1, 6-3 loss, but the Engineers bounced back with Hansen winning, 6-3, 6-4. In the No. 5 slot, Karina Pikhart outlasted her foe, 7-5, in the opening set and then registered a 6-1 score to capture the victory. Hoover posted a 6-4, 6-3 win while McCree fell in a hard-fought battle, 2-6, 6-3, 10-8.
Wheaton College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 7, Wheaton 2
1. Leslie Hansen/Mariah Hoover (M) def. Teague/Geocaris (W), 8-2
2. Liz Denys/Anisa McCree (M) def. Van Faasen/Milic-Strkalj (W), 8-1
3. Katie Smyth/Emily Onufer (M) def. Cordes/Pine (W), 9-7
4. O'Connell/Magee (W) def. Kerry Weinberg/Jenny Dohlman (M), 8-6
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Teague (W), 6-3, 6-4
2. Geocaris (W) def. Liz Denys (M), 6-1, 6-3
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Van Faasen (W), 6-4, 6-3
4. Milic-Strkalj (W) def. Anisa McCree (M), 2-6, 6-3, 10-8
5. Karina Pikhart (M) def. Cordes (W), 7-5, 6-1
6. Jenny Dohlman (M) def. Pine (W), 6-0, 6-1
7. Katie Smyth (M) def. O'Connell (W), 8-3
8. Emma Rosen (M) def. Magee (W), 8-1