Oct. 5, 2005
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team posted its second shutout of the season as it defeated NEWMAC foe Wheaton College, 9-0, on Tuesday. Serena Lin and Mariah Hoover led the Engineers (5-2, 5-1 NEWMAC) to the victory as the duo lost only a total of four games during the match.
Hoover and Lin opened the day by blanking Darby McDermott and Briana Jackson, 8-0. Elaine Ni and Joanna MacKay recorded an 8-5 win over Jamie Weiss and Maya Milic-Strkalj. Lisa Shank and Yi Wang moved up the No. 3 spot and defeated Eden Gudonis and Mallory Farmer by an 8-5 margin as well.
Lin posted a 6-1, 6-1 win over Weiss in the top singles spot. In a rematch of last season's three-hour battle, Ni dismissed McDermott in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. Hoover continued the trend as she defeated Jackson, 6-0, 6-2. Wang notched a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Meghan Doyle while Jusleen Karve earned a 6-3, 6-2 win. Shank closed out singles play by defeating Eden Gudonis, 6-3, 7-6 (4). In the lone exhibition match, Karina Pikhart fell to Milic-Strkalj, 6-0, 6-1.
Wheaton College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Wheaton 0
1. Mariah Hoover/Serena Lin (M) def. Darby McDermott/Briana Jackson (W), 8-0
2. Elaine Ni/Joanna MacKay (M) def. Jamie Weiss/Maya Milic-Strkalj (W), 8-5
3. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (M) def. Eden Gudonis/Mallory Farmer (W), 8-5
1. Serena Lin (M) def. Jamie Weiss (W), 6-1, 6-1
2. Elaine Ni (M) def. Darby McDermott (W), 6-3, 6-2
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Briana Jackson (W), 6-0, 6-2
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Meghan Doyle (W), 6-4, 6-1
5. Jusleen Karve (M) def. Mallory Farmer (W), 6-3, 6-2
6. Lisa Shank (M) def. Eden Gudonis (W), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
7. Maya Milic-Strkalj (W) def. Karina Pikhart (M), 6-0, 6-1