MIT Crushes Clark in Women's Tennis
Oct. 9, 2005
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team wrapped up regular-season action in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference by defeating Clark University, 9-0, Saturday afteroon. The win gives the Engineers (6-2, 6-1 NEWMAC) the No. 2 seed for the Championship Tournament to be held on Oct. 22 at Babson College.
Mariah Hoover and Serena Lin defeated Emily Slack and Mika Sneddon, 8-0. Jusleen Karve and Jill Konowich earned a victory by the same margin in the No. 3 spot. Joanna MacKay and Elaine Ni cruised to an 8-1 win over Alycia Weiner and Ashley Faden.
In singles action, Hoover, Karve, and Lisa Shank each shutout their opponents. Yi Wang recorded a 6-1, 6-0 win as she defeated Sneddon in the No. 2 position. MacKay also posted the same result in her match against Weiner. Karina Pikhart rounded out the scoring with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Rebecca Brenner in the No. 6 slot.
Clark University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Clark 0
1. Mariah Hoover/Serena Lin (M) def. Emily Slack/Mika Sneddon (C), 8-0
2. Joanna MacKay/Elaine Ni (M) def. Alycia Weiner/Ashley Faden (C), 8-1
3. Jusleen Karve/Jill Konowich (M) def. Kristen Domurad/Emily Luhrs (C), 8-0
1. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Emily Slack (C), 6-0, 6-0
2. Yi Wang (M) def. Mika Sneddon (C), 6-1, 6-0
3. Joanna MacKay (M) def. Alycia Weiner (C), 6-1, 6-0
4. Jusleen Karve (M) def. Ashley Faden (C), 6-0, 6-0
5. Lisa Shank (M) def. Kristen Domurad (C), 6-0, 6-0
6. Karina Pikhart (M) def. Rebecca Brenner (C), 6-4, 6-1