Oct. 12, 2005
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team closed out the regular season in dramatic fashion on Tuesday as it needed five and a half hours to defeat Brandeis University by a final score of 6-3. With the victory, the Engineers improve to 7-2 on the season.
The No. 2 doubles tandem of Joanna MacKay and Elaine Ni opened up the scoring for Tech by winning 8-2 over Gabrielle Helfgott and Christine Clancy. The Judges got on the board as Jenn Krueger and Colleen Donnelly quickly took the No. 1 match by defeating Mariah Hoover and Serena Lin, 8-2. MIT regained the lead when Jusleen Karve and Jill Konowich posted a tough 8-6 victory over Shani Reich and Jenicka Hornung.
In singles action, Brandeis' Krueger defeated Lin in the No. 1 position, 6-0, 6-3, to tie the overall match score at two. Yi Wang helped give the Engineers a 3-2 advantage when she notched a 6-3, 6-1 win at the No. 4 slot. The Judges knotted the match again when Donnelly defeated Ni, 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 2 spot. Hoover gave Tech the lead for good when she fended off Reich for a 6-1, 6-3 victory. MacKay followed suit by clinching the match with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Sarah Zonenshine. Konowich, who played in the longest match of the day, emerged with a 7-6 (1), 5-7, 10-7 win over Clancy.
Lisa Shank and Wang remained undefeated in exhibition play as they won, 8-4, over Ana Katz and Sarah Zonenshine. Shank went on to post an 8-6 victory against Katz while Karina Pikhart defeated Liz Adamov, 8-5.
Brandeis University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Brandeis 3
1. Jenn Krueger/Colleen Donnelly (B) def. Mariah Hoover/Serena Lin (M), 8-2
2. Joanna MacKay/Elaine Ni (M) def. Gabrielle Helfgott/Christine Clancy (B), 8-2
3. Jill Konowich/Jusleen Karve (M) def. Shani Reich/Jenicka Hornung (B), 8-6
4. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (M) def. Ana Katz/Sarah Zonenshine (B), 8-4
1. Jenn Krueger (B) def. Serena Lin (M), 6-0, 6-3
2. Colleen Donnelly (B) def. Elaine Ni (M), 6-2, 6-4
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Shani Reich (B), 6-1, 6-3
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Gabrielle Helfgott (B), 6-3, 6-1
5. Jill Konowich (M) def. Christine Clancy (B), 7-6 (1), 5-7, 10-7
6. Joanna MacKay (M) def. Sarah Zonenshine (B), 6-3, 7-5
7. Lisa Shank (M) def. Ana Katz (B), 8-6
8. Karina Pikhart (M) def. Liz Adamov (B), 8-5