Women's Tennis Falls to Wellesley, 5-0, in NEWMAC Championship
Oct. 30, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Nationally ranked No. 23 Wellesley College shutout MIT, 5-0, en route to its third consecutive New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) women's tennis title on Sunday. The loss lowered the Engineers' overall record to 8-3 for their fall campaign.
Wellesley quickly posted a 3-0 lead after sweeping the doubles matches. Leslie Hansen and Joanna MacKay fell in the top spot, 8-1, while Mariah Hoover and Yi Wang were defeated, 8-6. Mohona Siddique and Jane Booth-Tobin extended Wellesley's lead with an 8-5 victory over Anisa McCree and Kerry Weinberg.
In singles play, Hali Walther defeated Wang, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 3 spot. Alex Lucas clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-2 decision against McCree.
MIT vs. Wellesley College
Final Team Score: Wellesley 5, MIT 0
1. Jenna Mezin/Hali Walther (W) def. Leslie Hansen/Joanna MacKay (M), 8-1
2. Jennifer Schwarzkopf/Meghan Stubblebine (W) def. Mariah Hoover/Yi Wang (M), 8-6
3. Mohona Siddique/Jane Booth-Tobin (W) def. Anisa McCree/Kerry Weinberg (M), 8-3
1. Jenna Mezin (W) vs. Leslie Hansen (M), 6-3, 1-2 (Halted)
2. Jennifer Schwarzkopf (W) vs. Mariah Hoover (M), 6-3, 5-1 (Halted)
3. Hali Walther (W) def. Yi Wang (M), 6-1, 6-1
4. Alex Lucas (W) def. Anisa McCree (M), 6-2, 6-2
5. Meghan Stubblebine (W) vs. Emily Chen (M), 6-4, 2-3 (Halted)
6. Mohona Siddique (W) vs. Joanna MacKay (M), Did not start