- Location: Al B. Carius Track and Recreation Center - Naperville, Ill.
- The Lead: Led by a pair of All-American performances by senior Maryann Gong (Livermore, Calif.) on Saturday, the No. 4 ranked MIT women's track and field team placed in a tie for fifth overall at the NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field Championship. The Engineers finished the two-day meet with a total of 26 points as the event was held at North Central College.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the mile, Gong placed sixth in a time of 4:55.70 to earn three points for MIT. Running through the half mile mark in ninth place, Gong improved down the stretch to pick up the sixth-place finish.
- Gong earned a third-place finish in the 3,000 meters in her final event of the championship as she crossed in 9:44.93 to close the scoring for MIT. This season, Gong picked up indoor All-American honors in both the mile, 3K and DMR for the third straight year.
- MIT has now concluded the indoor season as the Engineers will open the 2017 outdoor season on Saturday, March 25th at the Bears Invitational at Bridgewater State University.