- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (DuPont Athletic Center Rifle Range)
- The Lead: Over the weekend, the MIT rifle team competed at the 2017 Beanpot against the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, as well as the Penn State and Wentworth club teams. On Saturday, the Engineers dropped a 4,397-4119 final to Coast Guard, followed by a 4,392-4117 score to the Bears on Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- On Saturday, senior Kelly Mathesius (Aurora, Ill.) was the top performer for MIT as she finished third with a total of 1,089 points. Posting 532 points in smallbore, she finished with a total of 557 points in the air rifle segment. Nicholas Paisker of Coast Guard was the overall winner with 1,134 points as he had 556 in smallbore and 578 points in air rifle.
- Junior Alex Pacheco (Machesney Park, Ill.) was ninth with 1,019 points, including 519 in air rifle, while freshman Thomas Rick (New Orleans, La.) rounded out the top 10 with a total of 1,018 points. Rick had 496 points in smallbore, along with 522 in air rifle.
- In Sunday's competition, the same three Engineers finished among the top-10 as Paisker was victorious again for the Bears with 1,127 points. Mathesius placed fourth at 1,076, while Pacheco and Rick each finished in a three-way tie at 1,013 points. Pacheco posted a 530-point total in air rifle, while Rick had 503 in smallbore and 510 in air rifle.
- MIT is back in action on February 11th as the Engineers host SUNY Maritime in a 9 a.m. start.