- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (DuPont Athletic Center Rifle Range)
- The Lead: On Saturday, the MIT rifle team defeated visiting SUNY Maritime by a 4,203-3,962 final at the DuPont Athletic Center Rifle Range. The Engineers held a 2,147-2,113 edge in the air rifle competition, along with a 2,056-1,849 advantage in small bore.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kelly Mathesius (Aurora, Ill.) led the way in air rifle with 549 points, along with 522 points in small bore. In air rifle, junior William Caruso (Toms River, N.J.) was second at 535 points, along with 532 points from junior Joel Solis (Brownsville, Texas) and 531 from senior Kevin Ng (Coral Springs, Fla.). Junior Alex Pacheco (Machesney Park, Ill.) rounded out the top five for the Engineers in air rifle as he finished the day with 525 points. For SUNY Maritime, Bradley Boomhower led the team and was second overall with a score of 546.
- Freshman Jesus Herrera (Los Angeles, Calif.) finished second on the team in small bore at 518 points, along with 510 from freshman Dylan Modesitt (Belmont, Calif.) and 506 by freshman Thomas Rick (New Orleans, La.). Pacheco rounded out the top five in small bore with 501 points, while John Meakin was the top performer for SUNY Maritime with 481 points.
- MIT is back in action on February 18th as the Engineers travel to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy for the NCAA Qualifier.