- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (duPont Rifle Range at MIT)
- The Lead: In the MAC Championship over the weekend, the MIT rifle team finished third out of five teams with a total of 4,295 points as the Engineers hosted the event at the duPont Rifle Range. The United States Coast Guard Academy took the overall title with 4,506 points, followed by John Jay with 4,399 points. In fourth was SUNY-Maritime at 4,148 points, along with SUNY-Plattsburgh in fifth at 3,998.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In smallbore, Coast Guard's Hunter Blankenship took the top spot with a score of 570. MIT sophomore Jesus Herrera (Los Angeles, Calif.) was the top Engineer in fifth with 551 points, followed in ninth by senior William Caruso (Toms River, N.J.) at 531 points.
- Freshman Landon Chu (Burke, Va.) tallied a score of 527 in smallbore to finish in 12th, while senior David Bustillos (San Rafael, Calif.) placed 13th in smallbore at 526. Sophomore Thomas Rick (New Orleans, La.) rounded out the MIT squad with a total of 503 as he was 18th.
- In air rifle, it was John Jay's Lily Graham earning the top score as she posted a total of 577 points. Bustillos was the top MIT performer in eighth at 556, followed by Caruso in 14th at 539 and Rick in 17th at 535. Herrera was 18th with a score of 530, followed by sophomore Ivy Li (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) in 20th with a score of 522 and sophomore Elijah Miller (Shavertown, Pa.) at 22nd with a 513 total.