- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (duPont Rifle Range)
- The Lead: On Saturday at the duPont Rifle Range, the MIT rifle team dropped a pair of matches to John Jay College and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. The Engineers finished with 4,291 points, while Coast Guard registered 4,577 points and John Jay finished at 4,346 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT finished with a score of 2,107 points in smallbore and 2,184 points in air rifle. Coast Guard was the top team in both with 2,252 and 2,325 points, respectively.
- Sophomore Landon Chu (Burke, Va.) was the top shooter for the Engineers at 1,090 points with a score of 529 in smallbore and a team-leading performance in air rifle at 561. Junior Thomas Rick (New Orleans, La.) finished at 1,077 points that included a team-high 535 in smallbore and a score of 542 in air rifle.
- Junior Jesus Herrera (Los Angeles, Calif.) posted a score of 1,068 points with 534 points in both areas, followed by junior Elijah Miller (Shavertown, Pa.) at 1,044 points (505 SB; 536 AR). Junior Rishi Shah (Jericho, N.Y.) finished with 1,040 points behind a score of 531 in air rifle, while junior Ivy Li (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) scored 1,029 points with a score of 536 in air rifle.
- Coast Guard's Seth Strayer was the top performer overall with a score of 1,149 that included a range-record air rifle score of 588. The top shooter for John Jay was Ida Sato, who totaled 1,108 points with 552 in smallbore and 556 in air rifle.
- MIT returns to action on Sunday, February 10th as the Engineers travel to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy for a 10 a.m. start.