FJ Invitational at Harvard – 4th and 7th of 11 Teams (A Division – 3rd and 7th, B Division – 4th and 5th)
Toni Deutsch Trophy at Home – 8th of 13 Teams (A Division – 8th, B Division – 8th)
Harry Anderson Trophy at Yale – 9th of 17 Team (A Division – 10th, B Division – 8th)
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team opened the 2016 campaign by competing in three different regattas over the weekend. The Engineers had their top placement of fourth at the FJ Invitational, while other sailors finished eighth at the Toni Deutsch Trophy at home and others finished ninth at the Harry Anderson Trophy, hosted by Yale.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In a weather shortened FJ Invitational, Engineers 1 sailed by sophomore Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) and classmate Noa Yoder (New York, N.Y.) in the A Division and sophomore John Piotti (Unity, Maine) and junior James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.) in the B Division finished fourth together as a quad. Long and Yoder registered a third place finish in their division, while Piotti and Peraire-Bueno finished fourth in their division. Engineers 2 sailed by sophomore Thatcher Chamberlin (Camden, Maine) and senior Pavlina Karafillis (Winchester, Mass.) in the A Division and freshman Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) and senior Sophie Goemans (Lexington, Mass.) in the B Division took seventh as a group. Chamberlin and Karafillis took seventh in their division, while McKellar and Goemans teamed up for fifth in their division.
- At the Toni Deutsch Trophy, MIT's A Division boat sailed by sophomore Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.), senior Elizabeth Zhang (Lexington, Mass.) and classmate Jorlyn Le Garrec (Pittsburgh, Pa.) took eighth place, while the B Division vessel comprised of junior Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.), sophomore Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.), senior Megan McKnelly (Camarillo, Calif.) and Goemans also completed the regatta in eighth place.
- Junior Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and seniors Paige Omura (Honolulu, Hawaii), Jordan Ladd (St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands) and Kyle Joba-Woodruff (West Tisbury, Mass.) teamed up for 10th place in the A Division boat at the Harry Anderson Trophy, while the B Division vessel sailed by senior Alec Stewart (Duxbury, Mass.), Joba-Woodruff and Ladd finished eighth as a trio aiding the Engineers to a group finish of ninth over the two day regatta.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- At the FJ Invitational, Engineers 1 combined for three first place finishes through ten total rotations, while Engineers 2 notched four top-five finishes as a boat.
- The Toni Detusch Trophy saw the A Division vessel finish in the top-3 in six rotations, while the B Division boat clinched first place in the second race of the regatta and total five top-5 placements.
- At the Harry Anderson Trophy, the B Division boat claimed first place in races 10 and 12 and totaled eight top-10 finishes, while the A Division vessel had a top finish of second place which came during race eight of a 15 rotation regatta.
- MIT returns to action next weekend as the Engineers will compete in a trio of two-day regattas including its own Hatch Brown Trophy, the Stu Nelson Trophy – hosted by Connecticut College, and the Central Series II – hosted by Boston College.