St. Mary's Fall Intersectional at St. Mary's – 3rd of 18 (A Division – 2nd, B Division – 11th)
Amanda Trophy at Roger Williams – 5th of 15 (A Division – 4th, B Division – 6th)
Hood Trophy at Tufts – 9th of 19 (A Division – 9th, B Division – 5th)
Loder Trophy at Home – 13th of 18 (A Division – 15th, B Division – 12th)
- The Lead: With a second place finish in the A Division by junior Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and sophomore Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) the Engineers had their best performance of the weekend as MIT took third as a team at the St. Mary's Fall Intersectional. In the latest Sailing World national rankings, MIT is ranked 14th in both the women's poll and the coed poll.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Ingram and Shaffeeullah notched 50 points, just four behind eighth-ranked Dartmouth College. Over 14 races at the intersectional, the duo registered four wins and placed in the top-five 11 times. In the B Division, junior Cutter O'Connell (Del Mar, Calif.) and senior Elizabeth Zhang (Lexington, Mass.) took 11th overall finishing just behind host and No. 13 St. Mary's College. O'Connell and Zhang had their best races late on the first day as they took fifth, third and fourth, through races four to six.
- At the Amanda Trophy, MIT's first time ever racing at Roger Williams University, the A Division vessel sailed by sophomore Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) and senior Jorlyn Le Garrec (Pittsburgh, Pa.) took fourth place behind sixth-ranked Boston University, third-ranked Yale University and No. 20 Roger Williams. In the B Division, junior Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.) and senior Megan McKnelly (Camarillo, Calif.) registered a sixth place finish with 64 points. The two divisions totaled a score of 116 for fifth place as a team. Hughes and Le Garrec had a strong finish to the regatta as they came in second place two times over the final three races, while Farrell and McKnellley registered four top-five finishes over nine rotations.
- At the Hood Trophy, sophomores Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.), Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) and freshman Connor Chung (Newport Beach, Calif.) teamed up for a fifth place finish in the B Division, while seniors Alec Stewart (Duxbury, Mass.) and Paige Omura (Honolulu, Hawaii) finished ninth in the A Division leading to MIT's overall team finish of ninth over the two day regatta. Long, Xi and Chung clinched first place in the final race of the regatta, while on the first day of action Stewart and Omura didn't cross the line any lower than eighth including one first and second place finish.
- At the Loder Trophy, MIT finished 13th overall as a team with 246 points. The A Division vessel sailed by senior Pavlina Karafillis (Winchester, Mass.) as well as freshmen Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) took 15th and in the B Division Chung, classmate Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) and sophomore Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) finished 12th. Karafillis, Duncan and McKellar had their top finish of second in the sixth rotation, while Chung, McGoldrick and Caso had their best races of the day when they took fourth in the second rotation and second in the third race.
- MIT will compete in four regattas this coming weekend – October 1st and 2nd – including the Smith Trophy at home, the Danmark Trophy, hosted by the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, the Regis Bowl, hosted by Boston University, and the Charles River Invitational, hosted by Harvard University.