Smith Trophy at Home – 6th of 19 (A Division – 9th, B Division – 4th)
Danmark Trophy at Coast Guard – 8th of 20 (A Division – 3rd, B Division – 13th)
Charles River Invite at Harvard – 3rd, 8th of 12 (A Division – 4th, 8th, B Division – 2nd, 9th)
Regis Bowl at Boston University – 11th of 14 (A Division – 10th, B Division – 12th)
- The Lead: In the fourth weekend of competition for the 14th-ranked women's and coed sailing teams, the Engineers sailed at four different venues. MIT had its best team finishes of third at the Charles River Invitational and sixth at the Smith Trophy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the Smith Trophy, sophomore Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) and freshman Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) produced a ninth place finish in the A Division, while senior Elizabeth Zhang (Lexington, Mass.), sophomore Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) as well as freshmen Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) and Connor Chung (Newport Beach, Calif.) took fourth in the B Division. As a team the Engineers finished sixth. The A Division vessel crossed the line in the top-10 eleven different times over the 15 races, while the B Division boat had its best race when it took first place in the fourth race of day one.
- Just up the river at Harvard, Engineers 1 – which finished third overall - was sailed by McGoldrick, classmate Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) and sophomore Thatcher Chamberlin (Camden, Maine) in the A Division (fourth place) and senior Pavlina Karafillis (Winchester, Mass.) and sophomore John Piotti (Unity, Maine) in the B Division (second place). MIT also had a second boat, Engineers 2, sailed by senior Jorlyn Le Garrec (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and freshman Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) in the A Division (eighth place) and junior James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.) and freshman Rami Rustom (Aleppo, Syria) in the B Division (ninth place). In Engineers one, the B Division team took first place three times over the six races and the A Division team sailed to first in the second rotation and had three top-5 finishes on the day. In Engineers 2, the A Division had its best finish of third in the fourth rotation, while the B Division had its best finish of sixth come in the second and sixth rotations, respectively.
- At Coast Guard, the A Division vessel sailed by senior Jordan Ladd (St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands), junior Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and sophomores Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) and Sameena Shaffeullah (Danbury, Conn.) finished third as a group with 121 points. The B Division boat took 13th and was sailed by seniors Alec Stewart (Duxbury, Mass.) and Paige Omura (Honolulu, Hawaii) as well as Long. Ladd, Ingram and Long began their day with a pair of first place finishes and also had a strong finish to the regatta as they placed in the top-5 four times over the final seven races.
- Finally, at the Regis Bowl senior Megan McKnelly (Camarillo, Calif.) and junior Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.) took tenth in the A Division with 86 points, while Zhang, Le Garrec, Caso, senior Sophie Goemans (Lexington, Mass.) and sophomore Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) took 12th in the B Division with 92 points all leading to a team finish of 11th overall.
- MIT returns to action next weekend as the Engineers will compete in the Moody Trophy hosted by the University of Rhode Island on Saturday October 8th and Sunday October 9th.