Sharpe Trophy - 1st of 8 Teams
Harvard Women's Team Race Invite - 2nd of 4 Teams
- The Lead: The No. 5 coed sailing team and the No. 10 women's sailing team opened their respective spring seasons with strong performances in team racing events. The coed team claimed first at the Sharpe Trophy, while the women's team was the runner-up at the Harvard Women's Team Race Invite. Both regattas were just one day events, due to the poor weather.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The coed team posted an 8-2 record at the Sharpe Trophy to claim the title. In the first round, the Engineers earned wins over all seven teams which included No. 2 Dartmouth, No. 9 Brown, No. 15 Tufts, No. 18 Harvard, Connecticut College, Coast Guard and Rhode Island. In round 2, MIT's record moved to 8-2 with a win over Coast Guard (1-2-5) to tie with Brown and force a sail off with the Bears. In the sail off, MIT defeated Brown by finished first, third and fourth compared to the Bears' in second, fifth and sixth to win the event.
- At the Sharpe Trophy, seniors Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and Cutter O'Connell (Del Mar, Calif.), junior Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) and sophomore Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) were the skippers, while juniors Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) and Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) as well as sophomore Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) and freshman John Ped (Portland, Ore.) served as the crews.
- The women's team had a strong showing at the Harvard Women's Team Race Invite which featured No. 5 Brown, Harvard and Tufts. The Engineers notched a record of 7-2 and were edged by Brown (8-1) in the final round for the title. MIT swept through its opponents in round 1 as the Engineers bested Brown (1-4-5), Harvard (1-2-6) and Tufts (1-2-5). In rounds 2 and 3, MIT defeated Harvard and Tufts, but fell to Brown 3-4-6 in round 2 and 2-4-5 in round 3.
- At the Harvard Women's Team Race Invite, senior Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.), junior Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) and freshman Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) served as the skippers, while junior Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.), sophomore Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) and freshman Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) were the crews.
- Next weekend, March 10-11, MIT hosts its own Team Race Invitational and also travel to Eckerd College for the Rudkin Trophy.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.