MIT Team Race Invitational – 2nd of 6 Teams (14-6 Record)
Rudkin Team Race Invitational – 2nd of 8 Teams (11-3 Record)
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team continued its strong start to the spring season as they took second place at both the MIT Team Race Invitational and the Rudkin Team Race Invitational this weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The No. 5 Engineers hosted the MIT Team Race Invitational and finished second overall with a record of 14-6 only behind No. 14 Tufts University which posted a record of 17-3 over the two day regatta. Competing at MIT alongside Tufts was No. 7 Roger Williams, Rhode Island, Northeastern and Salve Regina. The Engineers ended day one with a record of 5-5 after going 3-2 in round one and 2-3 in round two. MIT came back on day two and posted a 9-1 ledger to finish 14-6 overall. In round three, the Engineers defeated Northeastern (1-3-5), Salve Regina (1-3-4), Rhode Island (1-2-6) and Tufts (1-3-5) and in round five, MIT swept through all five opponents to earn a second place finish.
- At the MIT Team Race Invitational, seniors Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.) and James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.), sophomore Connor Chung (Newport Beach, Calif.) and freshmen Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.), Ryan Hennessey (Washington, D.C.) and John Ped (Portland, Ore.) served as the skippers, while junior Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.), juniors Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.), Lynn Liu (Orange, Conn.) and Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.) as well as freshman Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) served as the crews.
- MIT also took seven student-athletes to St. Petersburg, Florida for the Rudkin Team Race Invitational where the Engineers finished second with a record of 11-3 only behind No. 7 Roger Williams, which notched a record of 13-1. In round one, MIT defeated Charleston (1-2-5), Eckerd (2-3-4), Yale (1-2-5), Boston University (1-2-4) and Boston College (1-2-6) for a mark of 5-2, while in round two the Engineers posted a record of 6-1 as they defeated Eckerd (1-2-6), Boston College (1-3-5), Bowdoin (1-2-5), Boston University (2-3-5), Charleston (2-3-5) and Yale (1-2-6).
- The four skippers for MIT in Florida were seniors Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and Cutter O'Connell (Del Mar, Calif.) as well as junior Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) and sophomore Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.). The three crews for MIT were junior Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) and sophomores Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) and Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.).
- Next weekend, MIT hosts the Geiger Trophy and also travels to Connecticut College for the Southern New England Team Race Invite and to Coast Guard for the Vietor Trophy.