Vietor Trophy – 2nd of 16 Teams
Southern New England Team Race Invite – 2nd of 10 Teams (13-5 Record)
Geiger Trophy – 9th of 9 Teams
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team had another great weekend of results as the Engineers finished second at both the Vietor Trophy and the Southern New England Team Race Invite and then placed ninth at the Geiger Trophy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In its first non-team race regatta this spring, the Engineers took second place in the Vietor Trophy hosted by the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. The event was shortened to one day and only three rotations were sailed. In the A Division, juniors Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) and Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) placed third with 15 points and registered race finishes of second, sixth and seventh to account for their total. In the B Division, sophomore Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) and freshman Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) claimed sixth place with 19 points and registered finishes of fourth, sixth and ninth to account for their point total.
- At the Southern New England Team Race Invite, the Engineers finished with a record of 13-5 for second place only behind crosstown rival Harvard University, which won the event with a mark of 14-4. In round one, MIT defeated Boston University (1-2-4), Coast Guard (1-2-4), Connecticut College (1-2-5), Michigan (1-2-4), New York Maritime (1-2-3) and Tufts (1-2-3) for a record of 6-3 and continued its success in round two as the Engineers bested Bowdoin (1-4-5), Harvard (1-3-5), Boston University (1-2-5), Coast Guard (1-2-6), Michigan (1-2-4), New York Maritime (1-2-4) and Tufts (1-2-5) for a record of 7-2 and an overall mark of 13-5. Seniors Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and Cutter O'Connell (Del Mar, Calif.) as well as junior Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) served as the skippers, while senior Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.), junior Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) and freshman John Ped (Portland, Ore.) served as the crews.
- At the Geiger Trophy, hosted by the Engineers, MIT took ninth place with a record of 1-7. In the lone round sailed, MIT was only able to defeat Northeastern by finishing first, second and fifth. Senior James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.), Hughes, sophomore Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Haig and Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.) served as the skippers, while Peraire-Bueno, McGoldrick, Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.), Lynn Liu (Orange, Calif.), Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) and Kalia Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) served as the crews.
- Next weekend, MIT is on the road for three regattas. The Engineers will head to Roger Williams for the Friis Trophy, to Boston University for the BU Team Race Invite and to Tufts University for the Duplin Trophy.