Boston University Team Race – 4th of 6
Friis Trophy – 8th of 10
Duplin Trophy – 8th of 9
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team competed in three team race regattas over the week as the Engineers finished fourth at the Boston University Team Race and eighth at both the Friis Trophy hosted by Roger Williams and the Duplin Trophy hosted by Tufts.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT posted a record of 7-8 at the Boston University Team Race, a regatta which featured Roger Williams, Boston University, Harvard, Bowdoin and Salve Regina. In round one, MIT recorded four wins for a 4-1 mark as the Engineers defeated Boston University (1-3-4), Bowdoin (1-2-5), Roger Williams (1-2-3) and Salve Regina (2-3-5). In round tow, the Engineers bested Salve Regina (1-2-3) and Bowdoin (1-2-4), which moved their record to 6-4. Then in the final round, MIT was only able to beat Bowdoin (1-2-4) as the Engineers finished fourth overall with a record of 7-8. Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.), Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.), Michael Mastrandrea (Webster, N.Y.) and James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.) served as the skippers, while Lynn Liu (Orange, Conn.), Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.), Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) served as the crews.
- At the Duplin Trophy, MIT finished eighth overall with a record of 2-8. The skippers for MIT were Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.), Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) and Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), while the crews were Kalia Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.), Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) and Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.). In round one, MIT defeated Rhode Island (1-2-4) and in the bottom three round, the Engineers bested URI once against, but this time, 2-3-4.
- At the Friis Trophy, the Engineers were able to post a record of 5-9 which included a 4-5 mark in the opening round. In that opening round, MIT defeated Michigan (1-2-3), Boston University (2-3-4), Brown (1-2-5) and Bowdoin (1-2-6). Despite falling in the sail-off to Dartmouth, the Engineers moved onto the round for the top six. In that final round, MIT was able to beat Brown (1-2-3) but finished with a record of 1-4 to conclude the regatta at 5-9. Cutter O'Connell (Del Mar, Calif.), Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.), Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and Shestopalov were the skippers, while Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.), John Ped (Portland, Ore.), Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.), Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) and Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) served as the crews.
- MIT will compete in four regattas next weekend. The Engineers will host the Lynne Marchiando Team race and also travel to Boston University for the BU Trophy, travel to Harvard for the Central Series III and travel to Brown for the Dellenbaugh Trophy.