Fowle Trophy (New England Team Race Championship) – 7th of 12 Teams
Mystic Lake Invitational – 7th of 10 Teams
Emily Wick Trophy – 5th of 18 Teams
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team competed in three regattas this weekend, highlighted by a seventh place finish at the New England Team Race Championship and a fifth place finish by the women's program at the Emily Wick Trophy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fowle Trophy, which was hosted by Connecticut College, saw the Engineers produce a record of 9-9 for seventh place in the event behind Yale (15-3), Roger Williams (13-5), Dartmouth (11-7), Boston College (10-8), Harvard (10-8) and the host Camels (10-8). The skippers for MIT were Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.), Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) and Cutter O'Connell (Del Mar, Calif.), while the crews were Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.), Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.), John Ped (Portland, Ore.), Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) and Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas).
- In round one, the Engineers defeated Boston College (1-2-6), Bowdoin (1-3-4), Brown (1-3-4), Boston University (1-2-5), Connecticut College (2-3-4), Coast Guard (1-2-4) and Tufts (1-2-5) for an overall record of 7-4. MIT was edged by Dartmouth (1-5-6), Harvard (2-4-6), Roger Williams (4-5-6) and Yale (3-4-6) in the opening round. On Sunday, MIT closed the Fowle Trophy with a mark of 2-5 for an overall record of 9-9 for the weekend. In round two, the Engineers defeated Harvard (1-2-4) and Bowdoin (2-3-4).
- The women's team claimed fifth place overall at the Emily Wick Trophy, which was hosted by Yale, with a score of 130 points. In the A Division, Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) and Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) placed fourth with 66 points behind the College of Charleston (42 points), URI (51) and Yale (59). Over the nine races sailed, Hughes and Xi crossed the line in the top-7 six different times in the field of 18 teams. The B Division boat, sailed by Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Kalia Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.), took fifth place with 64 points behind Brown (26), Yale (51), Charleston (55) and URI (63). Haig and Pfrang teamed up for seven top-9 placements, which included a win in rotation five.
- At the Mystic Lake Invitational, hosted by Tufts, the Engineers produced a record of 5-7 for seventh place. The skippers for MIT were Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.), James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.) and Ryan Hennessey (Washington D.C.), while the crews were Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.), Lynn Liu (Orange, Calif.) and Phoebe Piercy (Truro, United Kingdom). In round one, the Engineers defeated Coast Guard (3-4-6), Harvard (1-2-6) and Roger Williams (1-3-6), while in the round of the bottom four, MIT topped Northeastern (1-2-6) and Coast Guard (1-3-5) to finish with a record of 5-7.
- The Engineers will host their first of two spring Midweek Firefly events on Thursday, April 12 at 4:00 p.m.