Thompson Trophy at Connecticut College - 5th of 18
Presidents Trophy at Boston University - 12th of 18
Oberg Trophy at MIT - 13th of 16
Midweek Firefly - 2nd, 3rd of 6
- The Lead: This week, the MIT sailing team competed in four different regattas. The Engineers hosted the Oberg Trophy where they finished 13th and also the Midweek Firefly on Thursday where they finished second and third. The team also went on the road where MIT took fifth at the Thompson Trophy and 12th at the Presidents Trophy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the three division Thompson Trophy, the Engineers finished fifth overall with a score of 288 points. In the A Division, Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.), Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) and Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) totaled 114 points for tenth place as the trio crossed the line inside the top-10 during six different rotations. Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.), Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.), Abate and John Ped (Portland, Ore.) took home the B Division title with 59 points. Over the 12 rotations sailed, the B Division quartet won two races and finished inside the top-4 on eight different occasions. In the C Division, Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.), Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) and Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) took 10th place with 115 points. The C Division's best race came in rotation two when they crossed the line second overall.
- In the weather-shortened Presidents Trophy, MIT came in 12th place as a team with 125 points. The A Division boat sailed by Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.) and Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) earned seventh place with 42 points as they won rotation three and came in third in rotation six. In the B Division, Meredith Julian (Cohasset, N.Y.) and Sharon Chen (Huntersville, N.C.) finished 15th with 83 points.
- In the three division Oberg Trophy, the Engineers finished 13th overall with 296 points. The A Division boat sailed by Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Fiona McKellar (Southport, Conn.) took fifth place with 68 points as they won rotation two and finished inside the top-3 four different times. In the B Division boat, James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.) and Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) finished 15th overall with 129 points, while the C Division boat sailed by Thatcher Chamberlin (Camden, Maine), Charles Lindsay (West Palm Beach, Fla.) and Lynn Liu (Orange, Calif.) finished 12th with 99 points.
- At the Midweek Firefly on Thursday, the Engineers had two boats which finished second (13 points) and third (16 points) in the field of six teams. Engineers 2 sailed by Kalia Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) and Phoebe Piercy (Truro, United Kingdom) took second and Engineers 1 sailed by Cho and Zoe Lallas (Chicago, Ill.) took third.
- Next week, the Engineers will host the Midweek Firefly on Thursday before hosting the Boston Dinghy Club Challenge Cup over the weekend. MIT will also travel to Boston University for the Morris Trophy and to Coast Guard for the Reed Trophy.