Toni Deutsch Trophy – 1st of 13
Harry Anderson Trophy – 3rd of 16
Tufts University Invitational – 3rd, 5th of 9
Pine Trophy – 7th of 7
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team dominated the field at Toni Deutsch Trophy to win its first regatta of the season. The Engineers also finished third at the Harry Anderson Trophy, third and fifth at the Tufts University Invitational and seventh at the Pine Trophy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The women's team opened 2018 by finishing first overall at the Toni Deutsch Trophy by 45 points. The event, which was named after Toni Deutsch who was the first woman athlete to get awarded a varsity letter at MIT and won the ICSA Championship in 1958, saw MIT sweep both division titles very handily. The A Division boat sailed by Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.), Kalia Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) and Noa Yoder (New York, N.Y.) won three of 13 races and combined for 53 points, while the B Division boat sailed by Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) and Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) finished with 32 points, which was 29 ahead of second place Harvard. The B Division trio won seven of 13 races to guide the Engineers to the victory.
- At the Harry Anderson Trophy, MIT as a team finished in third place overall with 176 points just behind Yale University (152 points) and Boston University (159 points). In the A Division, coed sailing members Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.), Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) and John Ped (Portland, Ore.) took second place with 72 points, while the B Division comprised of Ivan Shestopalev (Miami, Fla.), Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas) and Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) finished sixth with 104 points just one point shy of finishing inside the top-5. Long, McKellar and Ped won four of 16 races, while Shestopalev, Abate and Shaffeeullah won race number five crossed the line inside the top-5 six different times.
- At the Tufts University Invitational, the B Division out sailed the A Division as Abate and Sharon Chen (Charlotte, N.C.) sailed Engineers 1 to third place with 53 points, while Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Zoe Lallas (Chicago, Ill.) finished fourth in Engineers 2 with 54 points. A Division sailors John Piotti (Unity, Maine) and Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.) sailed Engineers 1 to tenth place with 80 points, while Lulu Russell (Marion, Mass.) and Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.) finished 12th in Engineers 2.
- Finally, at the Pine Trophy the Engineers finished seventh with 79 points as Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.), Michael Mastrandrea (Webster, N.Y) and Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) had their best races in rotations three and four.
- Next weekend, MIT will host the Hatch Brown Trophy and also travel to Harvard for the Regis Trophy and to Roger Williams for the Amanda Trophy.