Rudkin Team Race - 3rd of 8 (9-5 Record)
Navy Women's Regatta - 3rd of 18
Wood Trophy - 6th of 9 (3-5 Record)
Arctic Circle Team Race Invitational - 6th of 8 (1-6 Record)
- The Lead: In their second weekend of the spring season, the MIT coed and women's sailing teams competed in four regattas. The women's team, in their lone event of the weekend, finished third at the U.S. Naval Academy, while the coed team, who was strictly competing in the team racing format, finished third at the Rudkin Team Race and sixth at both the Wood Trophy and the Arctic Circle Team Race.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers shined at the Navy Women's Regatta as they finished third overall only behind Yale and Charleston. In the A Division, Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) and Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) finished in second place with 45 points. Hughes and Xi won three of the 11 races and finished in the top-4 nine times. The B Division vessel sailed by Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) finished in fifth place with 66 points. Haig and Caso won races six and seven and finished in the top-5 six different times.
- In the opening round of the Rudkin Team Race, hosted by Eckerd College in Florida, the Engineers were dominant by posting a record of 6-1. Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.), Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.), Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.) and John Ped (Portland, Ore.) served as the skippers, while Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.), Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) and Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) served as the crews. MIT topped Boston College (1-2-4), Bowdoin (1-2-5), Yale (1-4-5), Eckerd (1-2-6), Salve Regina (1-2-5) and Connecticut College (1-2-5). In that first round the only loss the Engineers took was to Roger Williams (3-4-6). MIT went 3-4 in round two which included victories over Bowdoin (1-2-6), Yale (1-2-4) and Salve Regina (1-2-4), to finish with an overall record of 9-5 for third place in the regatta.
- At the Arctic Circle Team Race Regatta, MIT posted a record of 1-6 to finish in sixth place. Connor Chung (Newport Beach, Calif.), Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas) and Jeremy McCulloch (San Diego, Calif.) served as the skippers, while Mai Nguyen (Hanoi, Vietnam), Maile Jim (Honolulu, Hawaii) and Michelle He (Forest Hills, N.Y.) served as the crews. In the one round of competition, MIT was only able to defeat Northeastern as they swept the top 3 positions of the race against the Huskies.
- At the Wood Team Race Invitational, MIT posted a record of 3-5 to finish in sixth place. James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.), Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Lulu Russell (Marion, Mass.) served as the skippers, while Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.), Abate and Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.) served as the crews. In the only round of competition, MIT defeated Princeton (1-2-3), University of Pennsylvania (1-2-3) and Rhode Island (2-3-4).
- Next weekend, the Engineers will travel to Connecticut College for the Southern New England Team Race Invitational and to Boston University for the Geiger Team Race Invitational.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.