Southern New England Team Race Invite - 3rd of 10
Geiger Team Race Invite - 3rd of 8
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team finished third in both team race regattas that they sailed in this weekend. At the Southern New England Team Race Invite hosted by Connecticut College, the Engineers were edged by Boston College and finished third due to a tiebreaker with Bowdoin, and at the Geiger Invite MIT finished in third place behind URI and Boston University.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers finished the Southern New England Team Race Invitational with an overall record of 14-4 which was good enough for third place in the regatta. MIT and Bowdoin completed the two round regatta tied with the same record, however, the Polar Bears edged the Engineers in round two to claim second place over MIT. Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.), Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.), Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and John Ped (Portland, Ore.)served as the skippers, while Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.), Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.), Ped, Michael Mastrandrea (Webster, N.Y.) and Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) served as the crews.
- MIT had an impressive opening round as the Engineers went 8-1 only falling to Boston College. MIT defeated Brown (1-2-5), Eckerd (1-3-4), Roger Williams (2-3-4), Connecticut College (1-2-6), Michigan (1-2-3), Vermont (1-3-6), Bowdoin (1-4-5) and Boston University (2-3-4). In round two, the Engineers went 6-3 by defeating Brown (2-3-5), Eckerd (2-3-4), Roger Williams (1-2-6), Connecticut College (1-3-4), Michigan (1-2-3) and Vermont (1-2-3). Head coach Matt Lindblad said, "The team sailed really well to finish with a 14-4 record with 9 people competing throughout the weekend. Extremely challenging conditions with tons of current and very strong, very very shifty winds. The engineers never stopped battling in any race and won several races on the last leg."
- MIT finished the Ike Geiger Team Regatta with an overall record of 8-6 which secured a third-place finish for the Engineers behind URI (12-2) and Boston University (10-4). James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.), Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.), Connor Chung (Newport Beach, Calif.)and Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.) served as the skippers, while Lynn Liu (Orange, Conn.), Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.), Noa Yoder (New York, N.Y.), Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.), Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) and Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) served as the crews.
- In round one, the Engineers posted a record of 5-2 as they defeated Brown (1-2-6), Boston University (1-2-4), Harvard (1-3-4), Roger Williams (1-2-3) and Vermont (1-3-4). In round two, MIT went 3-4 with wins over Boston University (2-4-6), Roger Williams (1-3-4) and Vermont (1-2-6).
- Next weekend, MIT will compete at Roger Williams in the Friis Trophy at Boston University at its Team Race Invite and at Tufts in the Duplin Women's Trophy.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.