Dellenbaugh Women's Trophy - 7th of 18
Boston University Trophy - 12th of 18
Lynne Marchiando Team Race - 12th of 16
- The Lead: The MIT women's sailing team highlighted the weekend of action for the Engineers as they finished seventh overall at the Dellenbaugh Trophy hosted by Brown University. MIT also competed at the Boston University Trophy and at home in the Lynne Marchiando Team Race Trophy and finished 12th in both.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the Dellenbaugh Women's Trophy hosted by Brown University, the Engineers finished 7th overall with 225 points. The B Division vessel sailed by Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.)and Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) was dominant as the quartet took third place with 86 points only behind Yale and Harvard. They won the first two races and finished fifth or better in seven of 14 races sailed over the two-day regatta. In A Division, Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.), Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.), Noa Yoder (New York, N.Y.) and McGoldrick finished 11th overall with 139 points. The A Division quartet won race number two and took third in race 14 accounting for their point total.
- At home in the Lynne Marchiando Team Race, MIT finished 12th overall with a record of 10-12. Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.), Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.), Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.)and James Peraire-Bueno (Bedford, Mass.) served as the skippers, while Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.), Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas), John Ped (Portland, Ore.), Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.), Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) and Michael Mastrandrea (Webster, N.Y.) served as the crews. In the opening round robin on Saturday, MIT went 6-9 which qualified the team for the silver round robin on Sunday. The Engineers defeated Coast Guard, Connecticut College, Harvard, the University of Rhode Island, South Florida, and Texas A&M in first round action. Then, MIT went 4-3 in the silver round robin with wins over Bowdoin, Coast Guard, URI and South Florida to account for their 10-12 mark over the two-day regatta.
- At the Boston University Trophy, the Engineers finished 12th overall with 176 points. The A Division boat sailed by Jeremy McCulloch (San Diego, Calif.) and Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) posted 70 of MIT's 176 points for 10th place, while David Morejon (Kingwood, Texas) and Zoe Lallas (Chicago, Ill.) tallied 106 points in the B Division which was good enough for 12th place. Of the 16 races between the two division, McCulloch and Obermaier had the best individual finish as they crossed the line third in race number eight.
- Next weekend, MIT will compete in the Fowle Trophy, the Mystic Lake Team Race Invitational and the Emily Wick Trophy.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.