Emily Wick Trophy - 1st of 18
Fowle Trophy - 6th of 12 (NEISA Team Race Championship)
Mystic Lake Team Race Invite - 7th of 9
- The Lead: The MIT sailing teams had an excellent weekend as the women's squad took home the Emily Wick Trophy title and the coed team finished sixth at the New England Team Race Championship.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the Emily Wick Trophy, which was hosted by Coast Guard, the No. 7 MIT women's sailing team finished first overall with 155 points edging out No. 2 ranked Brown University and No. 8 Harvard University for the title. The B Division boat sailed by Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) and Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) finished with 73 points to take first place in their division. The trio won race number 11 and finished fourth or better in nine of 14 races this weekend. The A Division boat sailed by Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) and Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) finished tied for second with Brown and was one point shy of sweeping both divisions. Hughes and Xi won race number one and six and also finished fourth or better in half of the races over the two day regatta.
- At the Fowle Trophy, which is the New England Championship for the team racers, saw MIT finish in sixth place with a record of 9-9. In the opening round, the Engineers went 6-5 with wins over Boston College (2-3-4), Bowdoin (1-3-4), Connecticut College (1-2-6), Rhode Island (1-2-3), Harvard (1-2-3) and Roger Williams (1-4-5). MIT rounded out the championship with a 3-4 record in the second round with wins over Yale (1-2-6), Brown (1-2-5) and Connecticut College (1-2-5). Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.), Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) served as the skippers, while Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.), Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas), Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) and Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) served as the crews.
- MIT rounded out its weekend at the Mystic Lake Team Race Invitational where the Engineers finished in seventh place with a record of 3-9. MIT picked up wins over Boston University (2-3-5) and Vermont (1-2-5) in the first round and a victory over Rhode Island (1-2-5) in the round four. Abate,Jeremy McCulloch (San Diego, Calif.), Charles Lindsay (West Palm Beach, Fla.), Lulu Russell (Marion, Mass.) and Julia Wyatt (Sudbury, Mass.) served as the skippers, while Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.), Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.), Maile Jim (Honolulu, Hawaii) and Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.) served as the crews.
- MIT will host the Midweek Firefly on Thursday, April 11 at 4:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.