Harvard Invitational: 1st and 3rd of 14
Toni Deutsch Trophy: 2nd, 10th of 16
Tufts Invitational: 2nd, 6th of 9
Harry Anderson Trophy: 5th of 18
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team had a strong start to the 2019 campaign as the Engineers claimed the title at the Harvard Invitational on Sunday. The Engineers also finished second at both the Toni Deutsch Trophy and Tufts Invitational and also claimed fifth place at the Harry Anderson Trophy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers 1 boat dominated both the A and B Divisions at the Harvard Invitational as MIT claimed the title with just 22 points. In the A Division, Engineers 1 sailed by Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.) and Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) as well as Engineers 2 sailed by John Ped (Portland, Ore.) and Lynn Liu (Orange, Calif.) tied for first place with 13 points. Shestopalov and McKellar crossed the line first in race number one, while Ped and Liu won the first three races to kick things off on Sunday. In the B Division, Engineers 1 sailed by Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas) and Zoe Lallas (Chicago, Ill.) totaled nine points to come in first place, while Engineers 2 sailed by Charles Lindsay (West Palm Beach, Fla.) and Suparnamaaya Prasad (Yorktown, Va.) totaled 28 points for fifth place.
- In the B Division at the Toni Deutsch Trophy, Engineers 1 sailed by Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) and Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) totaled 62 points to win the Division. Engineers 2, sailed by Lulu Russell (Marion, Mass.), Julia Wyatt (Sudbury, Mass.) and Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.) finished with 112 points for sixth place. In the A Division, Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) finished ninth in Engineers 1, while Meredith Julian (Cohasset, Mass.) and Maile Jim (Honolulu, Hawaii) took 13th in Engineers 2. As a whole, Engineers 1 finished second in the team standings with a total of 199 points, just behind Tufts. Over the course of the weekend, Engineers 1 tallied seven wins across a combined 32 races.
- In the B Division at the Tufts Invitational, Engineers 1 sailed by Crew Fritsch (Coronado, Calif.) and Elissa Ito (Tokyo, Japan) dominated the field and came in first place with just eight points as the duo won four of the five races sailed on Saturday. Engineers 2 sailed by McKellar and Veronika Silkin (Johnston, Iowa) took seventh in the B Division. Abate and Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.) sailed Engineers 2 to a third-place finish in the A Division, while Lindsay and Prasad registered a fifth-place finish in the A Division with 23 points.
- At the Harry Anderson Trophy, MIT finished in fifth place as a team with 242 points. The A Division vessel sailed by Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Jeremy McCulloch (San Diego, Calif.) and Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) totaled 102 points for fourth place as the trio won race number six on Saturday. The B Division vessel sailed by Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) finished in ninth place with 140 points as they had their best finish in race number seven when they crossed the line fifth.
- Next weekend, MIT will host the Hatch Brown Trophy and also travel to Harvard for the Regis Trophy and to Tufts for another Invitational on Mystic Lake.
For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.