- Records: MIT (4-5, 2-1 NEWMAC); Clark (9-5, 3-0 NEWMAC)
- Scores: Clark 8, MIT 4
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Granger Turf Field)
- The Lead: After a six-run fifth inning for Clark University, the MIT baseball team fell to the Cougars by an 8-4 final on Tuesday afternoon in NEWMAC Conference play in Worcester, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cougars took an early 1-0 lead with two outs in the bottom of the first as Zach Kelley doubled to left center to bring Teddy Downing across for the first run of the game. The score remained that way until the top of the third as the Engineers took a brief 2-1 edge. In the frame, MIT scored unearned runs from freshman Ethan Rolland (Burke, Va.) and senior Garrett Greenwood (Edmond, Okla.) to take the 2-1 advantage.
- In the fifth, Clark struck for a six-run inning that featured five Cougar hits and one MIT error to taking the 7-2 advantage. Ryan Ruhlin's triple down the right field line led to two runs, along with a two-RBI single to left from Downing to fuel the offense that pushed the lead to five runs.
- Senior Max Lancaster (Attleboro, Mass.) pulled MIT within 7-4 with two outs in the top of the sixth as his two-RBI double to left scored senior David Heller (Fair Lawn, N.J.) and Greenwood to close the gap. A single Cougar run in the bottom of the seventh inning completed the scoring and the 8-4 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Greenwood finished 2-for-4 with two runs, while Lancaster posted two RBI and freshman Zach Roberts (West Chester, Pa.) drew two walks.
- For the Cougars, Downing was 4-for-4 with two runs and two RBI, along with two RBI from both Derek Lefebvre and Ruhlin.
- Clark's Dan Shaw took the win in six innings to improve to 2-0 as he scattered six hits with six strikeouts. For the Engineers, sophomore Zachary Kopstein (Tiburon, Calif.) dropped to 1-1 after following a 4.2 inning performance in which he allowed eight hits and seven runs with two strikeouts.
- MIT is back in action on Thursday, March 29th as the Engineers travel to Endicott College for a non-conference game beginning at 3:30 p.m.