- Records: No. 4 MIT (19-14); No. 2 Clark University (26-12)
- Score: No. 2 Clark 6, No. 4 MIT 5
- Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Govoni Field)
- The Lead: In a NEWMAC Tournament elimination game on Saturday morning, the No. 4 seeded MIT baseball team dropped a 6-5 final to No. 2 seeded Clark University as the Cougars rallied with two runs in the bottom of the eighth for the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Clark jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first behind two hits and a pair of MIT errors that the Cougars capitalized on. Only two of the four runs were earned off of MIT starter Nick Charchut (Santa Monica, Calif.) as he gave way to reliever Casey Bussone (Danvers, Mass.) with one out in the first. Bussone proceeded to hold the Clark off the board for 5.2 innings of relief, scattering just three hits with four strikeouts to keep the Engineers within striking distance.
- MIT got on the board in the third as senior Garrett Greenwood (Edmond, Okla.) singled with one out and later scored on a groundout from sophomore Matt Johnston (Portola Valley, Calif.). The Engineers pulled to within 4-3 in the fourth on an RBI double to left by junior Alec Kushner (Cooper City, Fla.) that scored sophomore Thomas Allison (Kingwood, Texas) from first, followed by a Greenwood bunt for a hit that brought in Kushner.
- The Engineers tied the game in the fifth on a two-out homer to right center by Allison, followed by a Greenwood solo shot to right to put MIT in front for the first time at 5-4. The home run, which was his second of the tournament, was on the second pitch from Clark reliever Patrick Robinson, who came on to start the seventh.
- In the bottom of the eighth, the Cougars loaded the bases with no outs and used a two-RBI double down the right field line by Nick Jordan to score Zach Kelley and Teddy Downing with the tying and eventual game-winning runs. Downing came in to pitch in the ninth and set down the Engineers in order to help Clark advance to take on Babson.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Greenwood capped a blistering 12-hit performance over his last four games as he was 4-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI, while Allison was 2-for-3 with two runs scored and freshman Ethan Rolland (Burke, Va.) had a pair of hits.
- For the Cougars, Jordan had three runs batted in, while Kyle Bonicki was 2-for-3 to go along with two runs each from Downing and Kelley.
- Sophomore Jared Tramontano (Corona, Calif.) took the loss in two innings of relief to fall to 1-2, while Robinson got the win for Clark to move to 3-0. Downing threw a perfect ninth for his sixth save of the season.
- MIT is ranked No. 7 in the latest NCAA New England regional rankings, representing a rise of two spots from the last poll.