- Records: MIT (13-11-1, 5-5 NEWMAC); No. 14 Babson College (21-4, 10-2 NEWMAC)
- Scores: No. 14 Babson College 7, MIT 2
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Fran O'Brien Field)
- The Lead: On Saturday afternoon, the MIT baseball team dropped a 7-2 home final to No. 14 Babson at Fran O'Brien Field. The teams were originally scheduled to play a doubleheader on Saturday before rain impacted the area late into Saturday morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both teams scored single runs in the first inning as Brian McHale homered to left for Babson and an RBI fielder's choice by senior Alec Kushner (Cooper City, Fla.) that scored junior Matt Johnston (Portola Valley, Calif.).
- The Beavers took a 3-1 lead in the second on RBI's by Aidan Scott and Thomas Lapham, followed by Matthew Valente runs in both the fourth and sixth innings for the 5-1 advantage. MIT junior Thomas Allison (Kingwood, Texas) homered to left in the seventh to pull MIT within 5-2 before Jake Oliger and Edward Lehr scored unearned runs in the top of the ninth for the 7-2 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Offensively, sophomore Andrew Krause (St. Louis, Mo.) led MIT with a 2-for-4 outing, while both Scott and Lapham went 3-for-4 for Babson and combined for three runs batted in.
- Sophomore Casey Bussone (Danvers, Mass.) took the loss for the Engineers to drop to 2-2 after going seven innings with eight hits, five runs, no walks and four strikeouts. Michael Nocchi went 5.1 innings, scattering five hits with three walks, one run and four strikeouts as he is now 3-1.
- MIT wraps up the series with the Beavers on Sunday at Noon, while MIT's doubleheader with WPI has been postponed and will be made up at a later date.