Tashman, Redfield Notch Double-Doubles to Lead MIT Past Coast Guard

Senior Will Tashman
Senior Will Tashman

NEW LONDON, Conn. – Senior Will Tashman (Atherton, Calif.) and sophomore Matt Redfield (Los Altos, Calif.) each recorded double-doubles to lead MIT past Coast Guard, 92-66, in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference men's basketball game this afternoon. The Engineers ran out to a 23-point halftime lead and never looked back as they placed 12 players in the scoring column. Zach Wells led Coast Guard with 14 points.

Baskets by Jimmy Knudsen and Mark Krebs in the first minute of play gave Coast Guard (1-16, 0-7 NEWMAC) and early 4-0 advantage. MIT (14-4, 5-2 NEWMAC) did not score until three minutes in when Tashman laid one in for the first of his team-high 23 points of the game. Freshman Russell Johnson (New York, N.Y.) followed with a trey that put the Engineers up 5-4 and they never trailed again.

After scoring twice in the first minute, Coast Guard did not pick up a point again for nearly eight minutes as the MIT defense forced the Bears into 14 straight missed shots. The Engineers offense started to pick up steam during the stretch, completing a 15-0 run on a Tashman layup with 12:04 to go in the first. With seven minutes left in the half Coast Guard picked up a pair of threes from Wells and Joe Whitman to cut the MIT advantage to 23-12 at the 6:19 mark, but the Bears could get no closer than 10 the rest of the half. MIT, which shot 55 percent from long-range in the first half, pushed its lead to 44-21 at halftime as senior James Burke (Scotch Plains, N.J.) and Johnson hit three-pointers in the final minutes of the half to lead the Engineers to their halftime cushion.

MIT maintained its 20+ point lead for the first 11 minutes of the second half as the Engineers countered nearly every basket Coast Guard scored with one of their own. Burke hit a pair of treys in the first five minutes, with his second extending MIT's advantage to 54-30 at the 15:20 mark. A three from freshman Justin Pedley (Kennewick, Wash.) three minutes later moved MIT to its biggest lead of the contest, 63-36.

Trailing by 25 with 10 minutes to go Coast Guard put together its biggest threat of the half; going on a 9-1 run that brought the MIT lead down to 17 points at 67-50 after a jumper by Greg Marshall at 8:09. MIT answered with a pair of free throws from senior Mitchell Kates (Colts Neck, N.J.) and then a trey from Burke pushed the lead back over the 20-point mark, which is where it stayed the rest of the game. The Engineers converted on 14-of-19 free throws over the final eight minutes, with a pair from Tashman with 4:53 left bringing the MIT lead back to 27 at 81-54.

Tashman finished with 23 points and 14 rebounds for his eighth double-double of the season. Redfield also picked up 14 boards and finished with 15 points and three blocks. Burke drained five of his 12 three-point attempts and added 19 points to the MIT totals. Coast Guard had three players finish in double figures, with Knudsen dropping in 12 and Greg Marshall adding 10. Wells, who shot 5-of-7 from the field, also lead the Bears with seven rebounds. MIT outshot Coast Guard 45 percent to 31 percent and also held a 45-37 edge on the boards.

MIT will return home for its next game, hosting Wheaton College in a NEWMAC matchup on Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 7:00 p.m. Coast Guard will also be home for its next outing, hosting Springfield on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.