- Score: No. 6 Swarthmore 105, No. 12 MIT 65
- Records: No. 12 MIT (23-5), No. 6 Swarthmore (26-3)
- Location: Swarthmore, Pa. (Tarble Pavilion)
- The Lead: No. 6 Swarthmore used nearly 90 percent shooting from the field in the first half to build to a 25-point halftime lead as No. 12 MIT dropped an eventual 105-65 final to the Garnet in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Garnet shot a blistering 88.9 percent in the first half and built to a double-digit lead at 12-2 on a layup from Nate Shafer with 16:42 left. Swarthmore kept up the offensive pressure and after a jumper from George Visconti, the hosts lead 46-20 at the 7:50 mark.
- The Engineers settled down and used a 7-0 run to pull to within 15 at 53-38 with 3:52 on the clock. Swarthmore closed the period on a 15-5 run however, including the last 12 points of the half, to stretch the lead to 68-43 at the break.
- Senior AJ Jurko (Weston, Fla.) paced the Engineers with 23 points in the first half as MIT shot 48.4 percent from the field and hit 6-of-14 three-point attempts (42.9 percent). Four Swarthmore players were in double figures over the first 20 minutes, led by 18 from Conor Harkins.
- In the second half, the Garnet opened the period on a 26-7 run over the first 10 minutes to lead 94-50 following a layup from Abass Sallah. Swarthmore shot 54.2 percent in the second period and 72.5 for the game as the Garnet advanced with the 40-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- For MIT, Jurko was the lone player in double figures with 28 points as he added a game-high six assists. For Swarthmore, Visconti led the team with 22 points as four Garnet were in double figures.
- MIT is ranked No. 12 in this week's D3Hoops.com National Poll as the Engineers are down five spots from No. 5 in last week's rankings.