- Event: Alumni Cup
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Lake Quinsigamond)
- The Lead: Racing in ideal conditions for the Alumni Cup, with cool temperatures and a variable eight to 10 mile per hour cross-headwind on Lake Quinsigamond, the MIT men's heavyweight crew team saw its Varsity 8+ and Varsity 4+ capture third place while the Second Varsity 8+ finished fourth on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the Varsity 8 race, MIT moved steadily ahead of Holy Cross from the 500-meter mark, finishing five seconds ahead of the Crusaders in time of 6:10.92. The Engineers trailed first-place Dartmouth by eight seconds and runner-up Columbia by four seconds.
- The Varsity 4+ was edged out of second place by Dartmouth's "B" boat by .79 seconds, but had a four-second margin over Columbia, crossing the finish line in 7:09.45. Dartmouth's "A" boat comfortably won the race with a time of 6:50.4.
- Dartmouth won the Second Varsity 8+ in 6:02.32, followed by Columbia (6:09.38), Holy Cross (6:09.91), and MIT (6:21.51).
- MIT returns to Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Massachusetts for the Donahue Cup on Saturday, April 13.