- Event: Donahue Cup
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Lake Quinsigamond)
- The Lead: The MIT men's heavyweight crew team swept all three races en route to capturing its fifth straight Donahue Cup on Saturday. The Engineers raced in a 12 mile per hour headwind with overcast skies that turned to sunny and warm at Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT led the Second Varsity 8+ race from the start and never relinquished the lead. The Engineers were ahead by a full boat at 1000 meters, but Williams College challenged in the third 500 meters, cutting the lead to a quarter of a boat. MIT was able to stop the Ephs' push and extend its lead during the last 500, crossing the finish line in 6:38.5, four seconds ahead of Williams. WPI came in third (7:07.58), followed by Connecticut College (8:14.42).
- The Engineers' Varsity 8+ got off to a quick start and had a one boat lead at the 750-meter mark. Williams and WPI managed to push back into MIT's lead, however, the Engineers created enough of a cushion to withstand the late charges and finish in 6:35.0. Williams was next (6:37.09), followed by WPI (6:38.87), and Connecticut College (7:54.0).
- MIT's Varsity 4+ dominated its competition, leading throughout the entire 2,000 meters and logging a time of 7:58.4. WPI "A" was the runner-up (8:19.41), followed by WPI "B" (9:02.94), and Connecticut College (10:47.46).
- MIT will host Marist College on Sunday, April 14 on the Charles River starting at 9:20 a.m.