- Event: Marist College
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Charles River)
- The Lead: In the first dual race between MIT and Marist College, both of which were tied for 24th in the IRA/USRowing National Coaches Poll, the Red Foxes captured a slim victory in the Varsity 8+ but the Engineers won the Second Varsity 8+ and Varsity 4+ races on Sunday morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Racing in 60-degree temperatures and very little wind, Marist took a substantial lead in the second 200 meters of the V8+ race. MIT held the Red Foxes from that point forward before closing the gap in the sprint. Marist crossed the finish line in 5:52.8, just 1.7 seconds ahead of the Engineers.
- In the 2V8+ race, MIT built an early six-seat lead. The Red Foxes, however, pushed back in the second 1,000 meters and closed the gap to four seats with 500 meters to go. The Engineers put together a solid sprint, increasing their lead at the finish, resulting in a 3.3 second victory (6:03.7 – 6:07.0).
- MIT's V4+ led the race from the start and never looked back, finishing in 7:03.4, exactly 10.4 seconds ahead of Marist.
- MIT will host Bates College on Saturday, April 20 on the Charles River.