- Event: Head of the Charles Regatta
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Charles River)
- The Lead: In the first of two events during the fall season, the MIT men's lightweight crew team made its 2016 debut at the Head of the Charles on Sunday afternoon. Battling strong wind, the Lightweight 8+ placed 11th while the Lightweight 4+ was 13th.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Lightweight 8+:
- In a field of 13 teams, MIT held steady its 11th-place slot throughout the race finishing with a time of 16:38.558. The Engineers reached the first checkpoint at the Riverside Boat Club in 3:58.803 and then passed the Weld Boathouse almost six minutes later. The Cardinal and Gray crossed the third checkpoint with 14:00.950 on the clock before its last push helped it finish 10 seconds ahead of Dartmouth and Mercyhurst. Overall, the boat came in 52 seconds behind the winner, a 30-second improvement of last year's performance that featured better weather conditions.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Lightweight 4+:
- A boat comprised of freshmen and sophomores, MIT secured 13th place as it beat three other crews to the finish line and improved upon last season's outing. The Engineers had a strong first half of the race, reaching the midway point at the Weld Boathouse in 11:09.299. However, the Cardinal and Gray could not maintain its pace as it finished with a time of 20:22.227.
- MIT concludes the fall season with a trip to the Connecticut River in Hanover, N.H. for the Dartmouth Green Monster on Sunday, Nov. 6.