- Event: San Diego Crew Classic
- Location: Mission Bay in San Diego, Calif.
- The Lead: The MIT men's lightweight crew team kicked off the spring season with a pair of strong performances at the San Diego Crew Classic this past weekend. The Engineers won the Secretary of the Navy Cup for the second year in a row after capturing second place in the petite final of the American Specialty Health Cal Cup.
HOW IT HAPPENED – American Specialty Health Cal Cup:
- MIT rowed a very controlled race in Saturday's heat, claiming third place with a time of 6:21.381. Despite being overpowered by the heavyweight crews from British Columbia (6:10.60) and Notre Dame (6:16.713), the Engineers secured a spot in the petite final. MIT had a solid performance on Sunday, moving relative to the entire field through the middle of the race. The Cardinal and Gray opted not to put together a final sprint as it was unlikely to put it ahead of eventual winner UC Irvine (6:08.590), resulting in a runner-up finish with a time of 6:13.144.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Secretary of the Navy Cup:
- MIT won its preliminary heat on Saturday with a time of 6:25.604. The Engineers held steady through the middle of the race and narrowly held off the final sprint by the University of Victoria that brought it across the finish line in 6:25.857. Less than two hours after Sunday's American Specialty Health Cal Cup performance, MIT fought through fatigue to put together a great effort at the end to once again edge out Victoria (6:13.896 – 6:15.782) for the win.
- MIT will compete in the Joy Cup on Saturday, April 8 on the Housatonic River in Derby, Conn.