- Event: Joy Cup
- Location: Housatonic River in Derby, Conn.
- The Lead: In its return to the east coast, the MIT men's lightweight crew team competed against Yale and Georgetown at the Joy Cup on Saturday. Both the Varsity 8 and the 2V8 finished third after completing the 2,000 meter course.
HOW IT HAPPENED – V8:
- MIT had a rough start to the race and was unable to recover against a very strong Yale crew, which moved fast early and maintained a steady pace throughout the event. The Engineers attempted to move back into the Georgetown boat; however, MIT struggled to find a good rhythm to close the gap. Yale came away with the victory in 5:25.3, followed by Georgetown (5:32.5), and then the Cardinal and Gray (5:40.8).
HOW IT HAPPENED – 2V8:
- Like the Varsity 8 race, the 2V8 found itself in a similar situation with Yale building a comfortable lead. The Engineers had a more competitive showing against Georgetown but they could not overcome the Hoyas. Yale claimed its second win of the day with a time of 5:33.1 while Georgetown (5:42.5) and MIT (5:50.8) rounded out the field.
- MIT will host the Biglin Bowl on Saturday, April 15, for its only home event of the season.