- Event: Head of the Charles Regatta
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Charles River)
- The Lead: In the first of two events during the fall season, the MIT men's lightweight crew team made its 2018-19 debut at the Head of the Charles on this past weekend. The Engineers saw the Club 8+ rank 19th on Saturday while the Lightweight 4+ and Lightweight 8+ placed 10th and 12th, respectively, on Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Club 8+
- In a crowded field of 36 entries, MIT had a tough time getting by some of the slower crews that started in front of it, but the Engineers passed Boston College and UMass Amherst, which started directly ahead of them. The Cardinal and Gray reached the Riverside Boat Club in 3:46.4 and then passed the Weld Boathouse five minutes later. MIT crossed the Cambridge Boat Club checkpoint in 13:23.4 before crossing the finish line with a time of 16:09.063 for 19th place.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Lightweight 4+:
- MIT secured 10th place in 19:11.948 as it finished ahead of rivals Dartmouth (19:12.358), Temple (19:15.314), and Fordham (19:42.592). The Engineers rowed a consistent race which helped them rank ahead of their bow number.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Lightweight 8+:
- In a field of 14 teams, MIT finished with a time of 16:52.526 as it held off Mercyhurst by three seconds. The Engineers had a good showing during the second quarter of the race as they held off a strong push by Dartmouth, but they were unable to maintain that pace for the remainder of the race. As a result, the Cardinal and Gray placed 12th.
- MIT concludes the fall season at the Foot of the Charles on Saturday, Nov. 10.