- Event: San Diego Crew Classic (V8+), U.S Coast Guard Academy and Williams College (2V8+)
- Location: Mission Bay (San Diego, Calif.), Malden River (Malden, Mass.)
- The Lead: The MIT men's lightweight crew team saw its Varsity 8+ capture fourth place in the Grand Final of the American Health Specialty Cup at the San Diego Crew Classic on Sunday. In local racing hosted by Tufts University, the Second Varsity 8+ defeated the U.S. Coast Guard Academy but lost to Williams College on Saturday morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED – San Diego Crew Classic:
- In Saturday's heat, MIT was quick off the start, with only UC San Diego getting a jump on the Engineers. UC Santa Barbara asserted itself midway through the tight race, and then UC Davis inched ahead of MIT during the last 300 meters as there was a foot stretcher malfunction in the Engineers' No. 3 seat. UCSD won the race in 6:06.48, followed by UCSB (6:09.700), UC Davis (6:11.512), MIT (6:11.794), Boston College (6:12.872), University of San Diego (6:13.334), Loyola Marymount (6:25.922), and University of Calgary Rowing Club (6:46.026).
- Off the line in Sunday's Grand Final, the Engineers were sixth but slipped to seventh during the first 500 meters. MIT stayed with the pack and gradually started moving through the other crews, putting it in contention for fourth place. In the last 300 meters, the Engineers got past Orange Coast College, which was right next to them, and secured wins over UC Davis and UC Santa Barbara, all three of which had faster times than MIT during Saturday's heats. Purdue won the race in 6:04.104, followed by UC San Diego (6:06.404), Santa Clara University (6:08.248), MIT (6:12.588), OCC (6:12.898), UC Davis (6:13.934), UCSB (6:14.300), and UCLA (6:21.656).
HOW IT HAPPENED – Coast Guard and Williams:
- Competing in ideal conditions on the Malden River, the 2V8+ finished 9.13 seconds ahead of Coast Guard. Due to a timing error, the Engineers logged an unofficial time of 4:53.8. In its return to the water, Williams recorded a 6.5 second victory over MIT (6:18.44 – 6:24.94).
- MIT travels to Mercer Lake in West Windsor, N.J. for the Knecht Cup on Saturday, April 13.