Men's Fencing Ends Season at NCAA Regional

Men's Fencing Ends Season at NCAA Regional

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The MIT men’s fencing team ended its season on Sunday at the NCAA Northeast Regional Fencing Championships hosted by Brown University. Jackson Crane’s 12th place finish led the way for the Engineers, but the freshman narrowly finished outside of national at-large consideration, and MIT failed to advance any fencers to the national tournament.

Carter Chang (19th) also competed in epee. At foil, Richard LaGrandier was seeded 31st entering the tournament, but his impressive performance and 16th place tournament finish left him ranked 20th in the region for the season. Daniel Levine faced tough competition in his pool and finished 28th on the day.

MIT had three sabre fencers competing. Senior Rajiv Nadadur (22nd) had the team’s best finish, while Max Brand (24th) and Vinayak Ramesh (30th) rounded out Tech’s participants.

A fencer’s performance during the regular season comprises 40% of his national-qualifying score. The other 60% is based on his finish at the regional tournament. Eight fencers in each weapon are guaranteed to advance to the national tournament, while other high-scoring competitors are eligible for at-large consideration.

MIT (7-15) finished the year with one fewer win than the 2008-09 season and posted the same Northeast Fencing Conference record (6-4) for the third consecutive year. The team will lose three seniors for next year’s campaign, including Nadadur and epeeists Damon Henry and Javier Ordonez.